Pages

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The "Dash"


They say, “Life is Short.”  It has been said that you should be more concerned with the “dash” between the year of your birth and the year of your death, because that little line is how your life will be defined.  I heard a story about a high school English teacher’s class assignment, where the students were instructed to write their own obituary.  At first, I thought that macabre and out of the realm of teaching, but the basis of her assignment was to show that the “dash” between the years of your life can be as happy, prosperous and productive as you dream them to be. 
I am sure no student wrote that he or she wanted to be a drug addict, or a high school dropout.  No one wanted to be homeless, unemployed or working in an unrewarding job.  Through this assignment, she was able to give her kids a glimpse of how they could hope to be remembered and perhaps the ambition to prove themselves right. 

This caused me to think of how I would like my own obituary to read, and how I would like people to remember me after I am gone.   I know it would be as one who was generous of her time, concern, efforts and love. 
 I need to get busy making my "dash."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment